I know this was supposed to be posted yesterday, but I’m a slacker LOL. That’s okay, we’re here now and I’m sharing a classic recipe that my family loves: homemade cherry pie! No, this is not a “healthy” recipe by any means, but that’s okay 😉 It’s a pretty simple recipe that doesn’t require any “rare” ingredients, so you still have time to whip it up for your friends and family this weekend!
I apologize I don’t have any pictures of the recipe process, or pie itself, but here’s some proof that this is a champion recipe 😉
The weather is slowly turning around, so I’m excited to hopefully get some water time in here at the lake! We already went for a jet ski ride this morning and it was surprisingly not cold, the air, not the water LOL. I’m sure that’s still freezing. I hope everybody has a fun and safe holiday weekend! 🙂
Alright, let’s get to the recipes! We always do a homemade crust, but if you’re short on time or not a fan of making crust, you can always pick up a pre-made one. This recipe is for a double-crust (or lattice-top).
Note: For the crust, we typically start with 6 tablespoons of cold water, and add as we feel needed. 8 usually works pretty well! You can put it in the refrigerator while you are preparing the filling if you’d like, some people like to do that, some don’t.
Double Pie Crust
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening or lard
- 6 to 7 tablespoons cold water
- Stir together flour and salt. Cut in shortening or lard till pieces are the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle 1 Tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat until all is moistened.
- Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, flatten dough with hands.
- Roll dough from center to edge, forming a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Ease pastry into a 9-inch pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim edges as needed.
Cherry Pie Filling
- 4 cups sour cherries, pitted
- 1 1/8 cups white sugar
- 3 T. tapioca
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 T. butter, cut into tiny pieces
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl combine cherries, sugar, tapioca, corn starch, butter, and almond extract. Stir carefully and let sit while you prepare the pie crust.
- Take pie crust out of fridge and roll one ball out to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Place bottom crust in pie plate. Carefully press dough into pie tin – do not leave any air pockets. Roll out second pie crust and cut vents into the dough.
- Carefully pour the cherry mixture into the pie tin. Cover with top crust, seal edges and cut away excess dough. Brush with milk and generously shake sugar onto crust. Cover edges with crust ring to prevent over browning.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
I hope you guys enjoy this delicious homemade cherry pie! It pairs great with some homemade ice cream 😉 Don’t forget to like this post and comment below if you try it!
Until next time,