Hey there, Kristen here. I feel like it’s been a hot minute since we’ve shared a recipe. Life has been a little crazy lately with my second year of college wrapping up and getting settled into lake life here in Panora. I’ll admit, it’s pretty dang awesome 🙂 When I was taking all of my food home from Ames last week, I realized I had a few bananas that were getting dang near perfect for banana bread, so I couldn’t resist. Which was perfect timing because at home my mom has a bread pan and a few more things that I needed! It’s pretty slim pickin’ in Ames LOL.
I came across this recipe from Wellness for the Win, one of my favorites to follow on Instagram! She is a Registered Dietitian with tons of great advice/info regarding nutrition, as well as an awesome blog with tons of yummy recipes! My banana bread came out looking totally different than hers, but I only made a couple small adjustments. I added cocoa (which is why it’s so dark in color), and doubled up on the dark chocolate chips. Like I said, I made this while I was home for a few days so it needed to be plenty sweet for my dad and brother to enjoy it (and me hehe). My dad is not the biggest fan of when I “healthify” recipes. He saw all my ingredients out on the counter while I was making this and was like “Why do you have to use that almond milk, why can’t you just use regular milk?!” But guess what? He still loved the banana bread. So I promise your friends and family will too, we just gotta trick em a little bit 😉 The nutrition information for this recipe is down below. It has great macros! Would be perfect for breakfast paired with some eggs or Greek yogurt to get some additional protein. Or a yummy snack to satisfy the sweet tooth!
I didn’t take pictures as I went along because it’s honestly pretty easy! Mix your liquid ingredients, add your dry ingredients, mix in the chocolate chips, and boom. You’re good to go. If you have any questions, please drop them below! If you’re not big on the chocolate chips, you can also do some other mix-ins like nuts or blueberries.
Dark Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium (or 2 1/2 large) ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a bread loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the Greek yogurt and honey using a whisk. Add eggs and beat well.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas using the whisk and stir in the almond milk. Once mixed, add to the large bowl and combine.
- Add baking soda, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and cocoa. Whisk to blend. Using a large spoon, stir in the whole wheat flour just until combined.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once bread is done, let it cool for 10-20 minutes before slicing or 20-30 minutes before removing from pan. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to like this post and comment below if you try it out!